Sunday, August 26, 2012

Juice fast? Are you crazy?!?!

You may call us crazy and judge all you want, but this is what we decided is best for our bodies and minds.

So I am embarking on this new journey called juice fasting. It is what it sounds like, fasting from all solids and drinking only vegetable/fruit juice and water. For the next 7 days, Kevin and I will be doing this together! He has been juicing on and off for the past month to try and alleviate some of the pain in his knees. He has lost quite a few pounds and feels healthier. He discovered that each pound he loses takes four pounds of pressure off of his knees.

I decided yesterday to fast with him in order to support him and also to help myself. The juice helps your body overall. First, you detox (which I will go into more detail about later), then you feel more energetic and lose some weight. Your skin becomes more clear and radiant, and you just feel better. Inside, the juice is healing all your little cells and helping to fight diseases. Another goal for us through the juice fasting is to take the opportunity to grow closer to God. I know I will be praying A LOT this week as I fight the urge to eat solid food and discover my emotional attachment to food. I never thought I had an attachment to food, but oh how I was wrong! Just the thought of biting into a piece of soft, warm bread is making me salivate right now and I'm not even hungry!

I watched a documentary last night with Kevin called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." If you are interested in watching it, it's on Netflix and was a great movie! It's about a man who decided he had enough of being unhealthy and ingesting foods that were slowly killing him. He went to the extreme and fasted for 60 days, but he had a lot of weight he needed to lose and a disease he wanted to cure. Kevin and I are not going to that extreme. 7 days is enough for me!

So day 1: I am feeling tired, weak, a bit fuzzy, my brain is foggy, and I have moments where I get sweaty and nauseous. I mostly feel like punching something. This is the detox phase. My body is adjusting to this change in diet and the lack of unhealthy foods I was eating. The juice is healing me from the inside out.

Tomorrow I am sure I will start feeling my caffeine withdrawals. For those of you who know me well, you know that I am a coffee lover!!! But I've quit coffee once before not too long ago, so I know I can make it through again this time! The worst side effect are the headaches, but that should only last one day for me.

I will continue to update whoever reads this throughout the week to share how I am feeling and if it gets any easier, which it should.

Bon Apetit!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment